logo Insalogo Insa

Health insurance

You are entering higher education at the start of the 2021/2022 academic year:


  • If you are French, you will automatically be affiliated to a compulsory health insurance for the refund of your health expenses, generally the one of your parents or legal guardians, regardless of their scheme (general, agricultural or other).

    You do not have to do anything for this affiliation, but you can create an account on amélie.fr (general scheme); msa (agricultural scheme) or any other website of a specific health insurance scheme in order to receive the refund of your future health expenses, which is very useful. 

    More information by clicking on the following link: https://www.ameli.fr/assure/droits-demarches/etudes-emploi-retraite/etudiant/etudiant


  • If you are an EU/EEA or Swiss citizen, you can apply to the social welfare office in your home country for a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC). Visit the page List of European Union (EU) and European Economic Area (EEA) countries on the website: accueil-etrangers.gouv.fr. As long as it is valid at least until the end of the academic year, this organization will take care of your refunds. In the case of illness, you will only have to pay the ticket modérateur. To do so you will have to present this card or the temporary certificate of issue of this card to health professionals and structure. You do not have to register on the website etudiant-etranger.ameli.fr.


  • For international students who are not EU citizens (never affiliated to a social security organization in France), you will have to register on the website: https://etudiant-etranger.ameli.fr/. At the end of this procedure, you will receive a temporary social security number and your “carte vitale”.


You were already a student in France in 2020/2021

You will automatically be affiliated to the CPAM of your place of residence.



For more details, please visit: